Metal and plastic machine workers set up and operate machines that cut, shape, and form metal and plastic materials or pieces.
Metal and plastic machine workers typically do the following:
- Set up machines according to blueprints
- Monitor machines for unusual sound or vibration
- Insert material into machines
- Operate metal or plastic molding machines
- Adjust machine settings
- Remove finished products and smooth imperfections
- Test and compare finished workpieces
- Remove and replace dull cutting tools
- Document production numbers in a computer
Consumer products are made with many metal and plastic parts. These parts are produced by machines that are operated by metal and plastic machine workers. In general, these workers are separated into two groups: those who set up machines for operation and those who operate machines during production, however, many workers perform both tasks.