Helper electricians assist electricians by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
Helper electrician responsibilities:
- Assist in installing electrical systems
- Install sound and data systems
- Install lighting, electrical outlets, and circuit breakers
- Thread conduit ends and connect couplings
- Replace faulty circuit breakers, fuses, and switches
- Replace old fuse boxes
- Hook up appliances for power
- Install new lighting and ceiling fans.
- Repair machine tools and industrial robots
- Consult with engineers
- Rewire homes and businesses
- Assist in home inspections
Helpers assist construction craftworkers, such as electricians and carpenters, with a variety of tasks. They may carry tools and materials or help set up equipment. For example, many helpers work with cement masons to move and set the forms that determine the shape of poured concrete. Many other helpers assist with taking apart equipment, cleaning up sites, and disposing of waste, as well as helping with any other needs of craftworkers.